Unleash your inner DIY-ness!

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Book Mobile



A few months prior to my artistic "coming-out" I picked up a book that really inspired me. It's called "The Repurposed Library", by Lisa Occhipinti. This was the first project I made from that book: it's a hanging sculpture made from an old hard-cover book I picked up at a flea market in Belgium. The book is a second-edition of the novel "Rose in Bloom", written by Louisa May Alcott in 1876, translated into Italian. A totally random find, and for a couple of cents too! This book sat awkwardly in my library for a few years (I don't have any other antique books). I had actually thought about getting rid of it, because I can't stand things that are out of place.

I do however sometimes like to collect things that I like but have no idea what to do with at present, because often they turn out to be of great use in my DIY projects. In fact my favorite types of projects are those that involve recycling something. This is known as UPcycling; taking something old and/or useless to turn it into something creative and modern. That's what "The Repurposed Library" is all about. It's chic and tasteful way of jerry-rigging something.

Here is another project I made that was inspired by this book. It's a canvas made of several pages stitched together by machine (I had no idea you could sew paper). Prior to making the book mobile, I kept aside the illustrated pages for a project that would show them off, like this one. I painted them in a little with watercolors.







No comments:

Post a Comment